1) Carp: Don’t be afraid to fish big baits. Smaller fish like bream and chub will take boilies so if your specifically targeting this species try two 20mm boilies.
2) Chub: If you’re hair-rigging your bait don’t tie it too long. Chub are notoriously finicky and fishing a short hair will maximise your chances of hooking one.
3) Roach: Look for the slack areas in the river as this is where they love to hang out.
Try hemp and casters either in the feeder or in conjunction with a stickfloat.
4) Bream: Use a sticky groundbait mix especially in a powerful river such as the Trent because it’s surprising how quickly your mix will break up and carry your bait downstream.
5) Barbel: So many anglers use boilies and pellets for them these days so those who mix it up as regards to bait often reap the rewards. Try meat or even worms as it could be something the barbel in your river haven’t seen in ages.