Here Jamie Masson shows how to make a pole rig at home, from individual components, so you have a complete set-up ready to fish with. Plus you'll be able to make the perfect pole rig for tackling your favourite venue. What you’ll need is:
1) Genesis Extreme II mono.
2) Pole winders and anchors.
3) Maver Black Ice pole floats.
4) Maver Match This hooks or hooks to nylon.
5) Silicone pole sleeve and a variety of shot.
1. Start by cutting three pieces of silicone pole float sleeves, two small and one three-times as long
2. Thread the rig line through the float eye then thread on three pieces of silicone in this order
3. Push the pieces of sleeve on to the float’s stem. The top piece is placed 1in below float’s body
4. Don’t push it right up to the float’s body as this causes too much pressure on the float’s eye
5. In the end of the mono above the float, double over the line and form a loop
6. Pass the tag end through the loop twice to form a double overhand knot
7. Lubricate with spit and pull the knot tight to form a loop in the top of the rig
8. This loop is used to attach the rig to the stonfo connector when you want to fish the rig.
9. To attach hooklink, make a loop in end of the mainline and pass through the hooklink loop
10. Now pass the hook through the loop in the end of the mainline
11. Pull the mainline and hooklink tight to form the loop to loop knot. (Hooklinks not used on carp rigs)
12. With the hooklink on, shot the float using Jamie’s guide (right) to the amount of shot you’ll need
13. To place the finished rig on a winder, first place the hook on to the winder’s peg
14. Carefully wind the rig on to the winder,then place a rubber winder anchor into the end loop
15. Pull the rubber pole winder anchor and slot it over the peg in the end of the winder
16. Always make sure the float sits in the deeper side of the winder so it doesn’t get damaged in your box
How to balance your tackle
0.06mm - 0.12mm (1lb - 3.3lb)
22 - 18
0.12mm - 0.16mm (3.3lb - 5.7lb)
18 - 14
No12 - 20 Dual Core
0.14mm - 0.20mm (4.2lb - 8.8lb)
16 - 12
No 16-20+ Dual Core
0.16mm - 0.26mm (5.7lb - 13.2lb)
14 - 8/6
Jamie's guide to shotting
4xNo10 strung out
3 bulked & 2 droppers
3xNo8, 2xNo10 drop
3xNo8, 3xNo10 drop
The bait and tackle to get you started
l Genesis Extreme II mono – £5.99
l Pole winders and anchors – £2
l Maver Black Ice pole floats – £1.50 each
l Maver Match This hooks – 99p for pack of 10 hooks
l Silicone pole sleeve and a variety of shot – £4